Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 23, 2014

The Elusive Bluebird of Happiness?

Fairy Wren painted by
Sharon McLeod
http://sharonmcleod.com/
I bought this mini painting on a day trip years ago from 
Scott Alexander-King's Byron Bay shop "Animal Dreaming"  
(which no longer exists).
I wrote about that day here -
Animal Dreaming in Byron on Sunday  
I bought it because it reminded me of the blue bird that hit my window and started me blogging, although that bird was a kingfisher and the bird in the painting is a fairy wren...
a bird I had never seen in real life at the time.

The Bird that Flew into the Window

I finally spotted one of these in the wild just the other day outside of my new place of employment. 
I tried to snap a photo of it with my cell phone camera, but the fence got in the way.
Click to make picture bigger
I like my new job, even though it can be tiring sometimes.
But it is way better than the last job I had for 24 years for a Swedish furniture store. 
The hours are great (Mon-Fri 8.30am-5.00pm) with no night or weekend work, which is a big change from my last job.
And while I would still like to win the lotto 
and quit my job (who doesn't?) 
at least I'm happy here, so far anyway.
I think this little bird's message is that you are as happy as you make up your mind to be at any given moment and that moment only lasts as long as you let it.
I'll keep an eye out for this bird at work and try and get a better photo and place it here.
Updated Feb 3rd 2014
Updated Feb 3rd 2014
Updated Feb 3rd 2014
Updated Feb 3rd 2014
The flip-side of my artwork from Sharon

WOODEN DELIGHTS

Sharon McLeod
ABOUT THE ARTIST
I was born an artist and decided to stay one. 
When I was growing up, art was a huge part of my life. 
I was constantly drawing and painting. 
I left home and started working in jobs that meant nothing to me, always longing for something else. 
One day I finally snapped, quit my job, and me and my husband at the time put names of towns we wanted to live into a hat, and we picked out Byron Bay. 
So after 23 years of growing up in Melbourne, I was off to live in Byron. 
I left with a car full of my china tea cups and teapots, my paints, my art, and other little treasures. At the time I was working on  
Mermaid Dolphin- Angels of the sea. 
We stayed a couple of months in Byron and then moved to Nimbin for a little while.
One day we were having a picnic near the bottom of Springbrook Mountain, and I looked up and decided that those beautiful mountains needed to be my home! 
I have lived here nearly 18 years now and have had two little girls named Freya and Lillith who live with me on the mountain in the cutest little cottage with running springs and creeks, veggie patches, old trees, and magic around us everyday. 
My surroundings inspire me to create my art.

5 comments:

  1. ... you are as happy as you make up your mind to be at any given moment and that moment only lasts as long as you let it.

    Couldn't agree more. There are, of course, sometimes difficult outside influences but ultimately it's our decision as to how we feel - about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Mike,and I was going to write something about that at the time,but I was too tired and had to head off to bed.There are times that it is perfectly OK to be sad (for instance a friend of ours just found out that she has lymphoma and was told she has six months to live) or angry in life,because it is a hard road to ride down.I wrote this mainly because I was sick of hearing people say that they are not happy in their life as if they were chasing some elusive thing that would make their life "happy". No thing will make you happy for life whether it be a new lover,a lotto win,new house,new job,or whatever.The key to happiness is gratitude for the treasures that you already have in your life,not the ones beyond the fence.It's fine to want to progress in life and not stagnate,but happiness will always be fleeting without a grounding in gratitude in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Daz. And your response to Mike's comment nails it. We all die at some point. As Gertrude Stein said, the way we die is as important as the way we live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to make a fence joke about you working in a prison, but if can see that this would ruin a brilliant set of comments. So I won't. Nothing to see here. Move along...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right though KU.A prison is still a prison,no matter how much you may like being in it at the moment,if you don't really have a choice on whether you want to be there or not.
    I would still rather be financially free to do what I want and not be dependent on a source of income that could dry up any moment,like the creek next door to my work where the fairy wrens frolic.
    It has been made quite clear to me that this is only a stepping stone to the next income stream that will come along.

    ReplyDelete