Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

March 15, 2016

Supermen Follow Their Hearts

I'm not really into Superman ... or Jesus either, for that matter, but I do find these images revealing some very powerful truths.
I picked up a new free magazine last time I was down in Byron Bay called 'Healing Times', but I only got around to reading it yesterday.
This issue of 'Healing Times' was about the theme of ABUNDANCE, which to be honest is a word I'm sick of  seeing in New Age circles, as while I'm not against abundant living, I just see it as an emotional trigger word, like SEX, just to make people pick up a magazine and get their heart racing while the magazine goes to work with some mediocre articles, while trying to sell products and services to people desperate to live abundant, or sexy lives, or both.  
But it wasn't the word ABUNDANCE on the cover that persuaded me to pick it up and take home to read, it was the artwork with a dragonfly perched over a sleeping, dreaming woman.
Izzy Ivy Art
I came across this magazine the day after I discovered a dragonfly in my hotel room, which I wrote about in this post a little while back - 
A Dark Night of the Soul?
So, to me the magazine seemed to have a subtext of transformation, as the dragonfly is an image of transformation, much like the images of Superman and Jesus above being images of a transformation from man to Superman.
It was the artwork of Amelia Batchelor's on the front of the magazine that spoke to me deeper than the words written on the cover, not to mention the editorial on the inside about her artwork.
Click on the image to make bigger to read it.
But it was an article by Carmel Glenane titled, 'Living Through Your Abundant Intelligent Heart', that really got me thinking about the sacred heart symbology.

Especially when she writes, "What does having abundance serve if you cannot live with a peace filled heartRight now, we are living in a world which reflects greed, materialism and desire, over simple truth."
In the article Carmel relates the story of Maat and the weighing of the feather and the heart.
"Maat represents the ethical and moral principle that every Egyptian citizen was expected to follow throughout their daily lives. 
They were expected to act with honor and truth in manners that involve family, the community, the nation, the environment, and god.
In the Duat, the Egyptian underworld, the hearts of the dead were said to be weighed against her single "Feather of Ma'at", symbolically representing the concept of Maat, in the Hall of Two Truths. 

This is why hearts were left in Egyptian mummies while their other organs were removed, as the heart (called "ib") was seen as part of the Egyptian soul
If the heart was found to be lighter or equal in weight to the feather of Maat, the deceased had led a virtuous life and would go on to Aaru. Osiris came to be seen as the guardian of the gates of Aaru after he became part of the Egyptian pantheon and displaced Anubis in the Ogdoad tradition. 
A heart which was unworthy was devoured by the goddess Ammit and its owner condemned to remain in the Duat."
The Weighing of the Heart
Is that a dragonfly in the centre of that heart,
flying up between two butterflies?
To me that Superman magnet on my fridge is not there because I'm some comic book fan, but as a reminder that following the heart is a sure way to feel lighter ... so much lighter in fact, that I believe I could fly someday;-)

2 comments:

  1. If I am equal to a feather, fine. If I have too much heart, fine. I finely picked up Jeffery Kripal's book Mutant and Mystics, Lot's of Superman pulp to Digest. Respectfully, Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about half way through 'Mutants and Mystics'.
    I'm really enjoying it, even though I'm not into comic books all that much.
    Great book and Kripal's new book co-authored with Whitley Strieber arrived in the mail yesterday, so I'm looking forward to reading that, as well.

    ReplyDelete