Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 23, 2017

Single Asian Female

I saw Michelle Law's play 'Single Asian Female' last night and if you live in Brisbane and you want to see a great play then you have until March 4th to see it.
Single Asian Female shakes up monocultural Australian theatre
I even ate 'Curried Chicken and Rice' from my local Chinese take-away and bought a fortune cookie at the ThEATre bar before the show to really set the scene for me.
Fortune in wallet next to an old one that
probably won't come true either;-)
Golden Phoenix/Fire Rooster?
The stage is set up to look like a Chinese restaurant, as the play is set around a (fictional?) Nambour restaurant named the 'Golden Phoenix', although the only Chinese restaurant I know of in Nambour is the 'Sliver Phoenix', not that I have eaten there.
69 visitors?!
Bear that number in mind if you see the play. Sick!:-)
These were early shots of the stage,
as it was a
full house pretty much
I could see this play easily transferring to the big screen as a kind of 'Muriel's Wedding' light musical/comedy film.
What do you think PJ Hogan?
Q&A after the play
Film, or not though, the play will/has become a bit of a cult favourite and will do the rounds for years to come in various incarnations, I'm sure.
Everyone loves a Slinky
There was so much I liked about this play, but one thing in the play really got my Homer Simpson like attention ... a plastic rainbow coloured Slinky.
Early in the play the Slinky was featured as a sentimental pop-cultural object to contemplate and suddenly into my mind all these images hit me at once.
One image was the scene out of 'Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls' were Ace tries to get a Slinky to go down some very long temple steps but fails at the last step.
I also noticed the wooden stairs on stage and a vision hit me that these stairs would be used to run the Slinky down later in the play, but like the scene in 'Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls' where the Slinky looks like it's going to make it to the bottom, it will suddenly stop.
The Slinky down the stairs scene was one of the last in the play and as you can see in the above photos the Slinky came to an abrupt halt on the fourth step from the bottom.
What I'd like to know is how many times in the play does the Slinky make it down to the bottom of the stairs?
I'd like to see the remaining run of plays left in the season just for this curiosity alone ... but I'm not going to though, if you were wondering.
Just like the Slinky, SAF is a great play and lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment