Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 14, 2017

'Canberra Bashing'?

"Whether or not you live in Canberra, most Australians are familiar with the term 'Canberra bashing'.
Curious Canberran Elias Hallaj wants to know whether it's a purely Australian pastime, or whether other countries like to criticise and joke about their capital cities too.
"

That's one of headlines I read at the ABC news website this morning while having a little chuckle to myself, as years ago I saw a slogan on a Subway sand-which store's witty chalkboard of daily witticisms which read, "In Australia capital punishment is a trip to Canberra".
I thought it was a great tongue-in-cheek saying about Australia's capital city, as most Australians seem to either love or hate the city for some reason or other, so I got an image of Australia's coat of arms and wrote out the slogan in blue and gold to make it look more official looking and put it on t-shirts and other souvenir type products.
The truth is though that I love the city of Canberra so much that I plan to live down there one day if the stars line up for me in my life.
The truth is though that Australians will bash any city in Australia that they are not from.
People from Melbourne and Brisbane bash Sydney.
People from Brisbane and Sydney bash Melbourne.
People from Sydney and Melbourne bash Brisbane.
People from Brisbane bash Logan and Ipswich.
And on and on it goes.
Pick a city, or state in Australia and sure enough another city or state will be bashing it.
And I would imagine that this phenomena isn't just an Australian trait.
It's usually nothing more than the sort of teasing that goes on in family situations between big brothers/sisters and little brothers/sisters.
I think when you scratch the surface of all of the "Canberra Bashing" most Australians are proud of their capital city, even if they won't readily admit to it.
I hear the boys at the 'Mysterious Universe' podcast "Canberra Bashing" on an almost weekly basis and they have even done shows about the city of Canberra -
Mysterious Universe/Mysterious Canberra
Canberra Connections
My advice would be to check out Canberra for yourself and if you really don't like it after your visit then buy a t-shirt, bumper sticker, or fridge magnet from my Zazzle store;-)

UPDATE:
I have since closed my Zazzle store, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment